Elewana Arusha Coffee Lodge
The prosperous Arusha – the city of my roots – is the gateway to all the northern national parks of Tanzania and therefore often the starting point of many memorable safaris.
Arusha city is a nice place to relax after arriving at Kilimanjaro airport, and to acclimatize before your exciting safari starts.
Arusha city lies in a green, fertile environment against Mount Meru. It is a large and vast city with all its contradictions.
Just outside the city is the Arusha National Park, a gem for a day safari.
Arusha city is located in the northern highlands of Tanzania, on the plateau – at an altitude of 1,400 meters – of the Great Rift Valley at the foot of Mount Meru. It lies between the Serengeti Plain, the Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara, the Olduvai Gorge and Mount Kilimanjaro.
The service sector is the most important product of Arusha city; businesses, banks and tourism. Arusha city is also home to various breweries, agricultural and forest processing and a major pharmaceutical company. There’s an International Conference Center, the African Court of Human and People Rights and various non-governmental organizations.
Arusha city is a multicultural city with a predominantly Tanzanian population with a mixed background: indigenous Bantu, Arab-Tanzanian and Indian-Tanzanian population, plus a small white European and American minority group.
The religions of the Arushan people are Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Hindu.
The climate in Arusha City is normally pleasant and mild. The dry season runs from June to September and there are two green seasons, with long rains from March to May and short rains from November to December.
The average annual temperatures are consistent: cool at night and rarely hot during the day.
June to October
The afternoon temperatures are around 19 degrees, with lots of sunny weather and clear skies. The night temperature is cool and is around 9 degrees. Occassionally, it freezes.
The temperatures in the green season are mild and comparable to the dry seasons. The temperatures are usually around 23 degrees during the day and around 11 degrees at night.
November and December
A 30-day period with the chance of short rains in the afternoon. The temperatures are around 22 degrees during the day and around 11 degrees in the early morning and evening.
January and February
This is a dry period between the rains.
March to May
The wettest months. It rains on most days, but rarely all day long. Clouds are common. The temperatures are around 21 degrees during the day and 12 degrees at night. Cold fronts occur in April and May.
1. Arusha is considered the de facto capital of East Africa and is an important international diplomatic center of the country.
2. Arusha city is also called the Geneva of Africa, one of the most prosperous cities of Tanzania and a peaceful idyll of relaxation before the start of an exciting journey.
3. Since 1994, Arusha city has been hosting the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.
4. Arusha city was first inhabited in the 1830s by the agro-pastoral Arusha Maasai from the Arusha Chini community, south of Kilimanjaro. They exchanged grains, honey, beer and tobacco with the pastoral Kisongo Maasai in exchange for livestock, milk, meat and skins.
5. Although Arusha city is close to the equator, its high location on the southern slopes of Mount Meru keeps temperatures and humidity relatively low.
6. “Arusha city is the city of my roots. I have lived here for 13 years,” said Marjolijn Pronk, founder and owner of Explore Tanzania.
Arusha city is more than a quick stop.
It’s a nice city for a few nights, where you can undertake everything: culture, nature, a city tour or a day of cycling.
There are no wild animals in Arusha city, just the usual pets and birds.
In the nearby Arusha National Park you can indulge again, with the giraffes, buffalo and zebras.
Have a look at other example trips that can be fully adapted to your wishes or contact us directly!
All properties in Arusha city have been selected with care.
Small-scale, hospitality and quality are paramount.