Our Green Camp, Full board
Shallow waters and dramatic slopes
Lake Manyara National Park, a two-hour drive from Arusha, is bordered by the alkaline Lake Manyara and the western slopes of the Rift Valley.
Lake Manyara is famous for its great diversity of birds.
The lake regularly turns pink due to the thousands of flamingos that are attracted by the lake’s algae.
- Surface 330 km2
- Best travel season all-year round
- spring rain seasonaround April
- fall rain seasonaround November
About Lake Manyara National Park
In green season, two-thirds of the park is covered by the lake’s water. Also, you find swamps, open savannah grasslands and dazzling green acacia forests on impressive slopes. The lake attracts many species of birds and mammals.
Landscape of Lake Manyara National Park
Lake Manyara National Park is located about 130 kilometers from Arusha in the Rift Valley, the spectacular “Great Slenk” that runs from Syria to Mozambique. In this area, which lies between Arusha and the Ngorongoro Highlands, you find the large lakes Eyasi, Natron and Manyara.
The park has a forest that is fed by underground water sources, the lake and the plains around the lake. You can visit Lake Manyara National Park throughout the year.
Lake Manyara is a shallow alkaline lake, that covers two-thirds of the national park in green season. Around the lake, you find a landscape with wonderful acacia forests, open grasslands and swamps.
Climate and season at Lake Manyara Nationaal Park
The climate in Lake Manyara National Park is mild and temperate. The average temperatures are consistent throughout the year. During the day it’s never too hot, at night and in the morning it is nice and cool. We adivse you to bring warm clothing for a night safari or a morning safari.
June to October
The afternoon temperatures are usually around 24 degrees. Picturesque skies and sunshine are common. It’s possible that the short rains start in October. The average evening / night / morning temperature is about 14 degrees, but can also be close to freezing.
November and December
This is a 30-day period with short rains and afternoon showers. It’s however unusual for it to rain all day, so it won’t have much impact on your trip. Daytime temperatures are around 27 degrees, in the night and early morning around 16 degrees.
January and February
These are the dry months between two rainy seasons.
March to May
Although it rains daily in these wettest months, it’s unusual for it to rain all day. Clouds are usually present. The maximum day temperature is around 26 degrees and 16 degrees at night. It is possible for the temperature to be close to freezing.
1. The water in Lake Manyara is alkaline; another word for basic. Water is either alkaline or acid. The PH value tells us something about the acidity or alkalinity of water. If the acidity is higher than PH7.2, the water is alkaline, lower than PH7.2 is acid water.
2. Lake Manyara lions are excellent tree climbers. They probably developed this special habit in the 1960s to evade a filthy bite fly that was wiping out the lion population in the Ngorongoro crater.
3. In dry season, the Mayara lake shrinks considerably.
4. Thousands of flamingos and other birds live in and around Lake Manyara, especially in the green season. They feed on the algae in the lake.
5. Flamingos are naturally white. Their food (the algae and small lobsters) provides them of their pink color. The algae contain the substance carotenoid. The rosier the flamingo, the healthier.
6. The eastern border of the park is formed by Lake Manyara, the western border by the slopes of the Rift valley. These slopes can be up to 2,050 meters high.
Lake Manyara National Park is a unique area, with lots to see and lots to do. From safaris on foot, by bike, by jeep and canoe, to walks through the village and treetops.
Animals in the area
Lake Manyara National Park has a high population of large mammals. There’s a good chance you see elephant families shuffling through the forest.
Or the famous tree-climbing lions.
Common animals include: elephants, hippos, klipspringer and crawfish. The park counts hundreds of bird species, including flamingos.
Dieren overzicht Lake Manyara National Park
- Monkey species
- Savannah hare